October 15, 2008

You Wanted more...

Since last night I can't seem to stop thinking about my childhood in the nineties...It seemed so great back then...certain songs bring certain days, toys, memories to my mind and it makes me sort of sad. Things have changed so much since those days...
I was listening to Third Eye Blinds "Jumper" last night on the way home and just started crying. It made me think of the time me and Kailey and Austin were working really hard in the backyard behind the Guest House trying to make this fort type thing. I realize how dangerous our childhood was now, but damn did we have a good time. We used to play in old woodpiles with bugs and termites in it, and use scrap pieces of wood from unfinished projects from our house's previous owners for forts. The wood had crooked rusty nails sticking out at odd angles from it. But we found use for it all in our latest forts anyway. Me and Austin once built a little hideaway right on the side of the highway and proceeded to throw pine cones (grenades) at passing cars. Kailey tried to build a robot in the G building once. I remember she wouldn't let me or Austin in there for like a few days...We rode our bicycles in one big counter-clockwise circle around the "pavement". Austin learned how to ride a bike without training wheels long before I did. Everyone was so proud of him. We would build our own ramps for our bikes. I remember how Austin like accidentally cut a back flip over one ramp we made. Once we got our pool we spent countless hours in that thing during the summers in the late nineties...
On the days we weren't romping in our huge back yard on the edge of the highway at Abron Drive, mom would take us to town where the Wal-Mart was. She would take us to other Strip mall stores too. Our united favorite being Zany Brainy. Me and Austin would get so excited and would beg mom to buy us one little pack of Pokemon cards each. If she said yes, we would take turns opening them each hoping ours was better than the others. All those toys were so expensive.
I remember doing at least one year of Karate with my childhood buddy Chelsea and her sister Chloe. I was such a tom boy and so was Kailey. She used to wear jeans, Lands End boots and a flannel shirt over baggy tee shirts. I would wear whatever colorful outfit mom happened to lay out for me that day. I remember catching toads and putting them in our old aquarium and keeping them as pets. We had this one toad, Warton, he was about as big as a softball. No lie. We tried to feed him this jumbo sized grass hopper we found in the back yard one day. Now Warton didn't move very much, if at all, but as soon as that thing hopped toward him in that small space, it immediately become a jumping contest as both creatures jumped all over that little aquarium.
I swear we had some good times...
Sometimes I think I'd just like to go back to ninety eight. And sort of "start over". Ever feel like that? Maybe just relive it all over again.
Now I'm listening to A long December by the Counting Crows...
This song makes me thing of it all.
Ok, I have to go. I'm becoming a mess...

No comments: